Monday, July 5, 2010

Meanwhile in Little Tokyo...

Mixed: Portraits of Multiracial Kids by Kip Fulbeck at the Japanese American National Museum in Los Angeles. Exhibit runs through September 26, 2010.

You know how the cute grade school kids dancing in the 2005 documentary Mad Hot Ballroom made you think, 'Not bad, but they're missing la passion of it all'? That is what I felt while viewing Mixed at JANM. Fulbeck's photos of young, multiracial kids are beautiful and fun to look at, but unlike the multiracial adults featured in 100% Hapa, the kids' writing about self identity is (understandably) simplistic. But hey, at least my husband didn't need to bring along his spray.

My husband got mad when I pushed a button in the exhibit claiming my relatives hailed from Mexico. (I wanted to see what would happen and the answer was absolutely nothing.) He said in an exasperated voice, "Now I know why censuses are so messed up!"