Sunday, May 20, 2012

Newport Beach cottage gets a makeover

In the spring of 2010, I predicted that a 594 square foot cottage for sale on the Balboa Peninsula would be bulldozed to make way for a Mediterranean McMansion.  The asking price for the 1957 property was $820K.  I am thrilled to say I was wrong!  The home at 306 Lindo Ave. has been refurbished and is now for sale for $849K. 

Before: I liked the grey exterior with the red front door.  But I appreciate how the new look with the cedar shingles and navy door has a nautical vibe. I'm glad the buyers kept the X details in the house's windows.

I admit I probably would have stripped the house of the wood siding on the walls. Does that make me bad?  The new owners went with it and it's not a huge deal since the floor tiles are light. Limestone tile runs throughout the 2 bedroom, 1 bath home.

Before: As you can see, the fireplace used to be brick. The wood mantel is still the same.  The new listing states the fireplace is now both gas and wood burning.  The gas feature is very handy since the floors are tile, and it gets cool by the ocean.  The last thing you want to worry about it schlepping firewood around.

The kitchen features new Caesarstone countertops, new tile blacksplash, a new gas stovetop, a new stainless steel sink and appliances, new lighting and what appears to be a new stain on the existing cabinets.  The footprint is the same.  Privacy is increased with the addition of plantation shutters in the kitchen and throughout the house.

Before: The kitchen 

The house's only bathroom hasn't changed.  I wish the new owners had replaced the countertop and backsplash with the same tile they used in the kitchen.  I have a hunch if they did that, however, they'd have to retile the entire shower.

 Before: The bathroom wasn't horrid, but wasn't great.

The new listing features many perspectives we didn't get to see when the house was on the market in 2010.  Now we can view the den (staged as a dining room) more of the kitchen, and even the bedrooms.  In addition to decorative renovations, the cottage also includes new recessed lighting, electrical upgrades, new rain gutters, a new furnace and thermostat, and customized ADT alarm.  Still no word on that washer and dryer.




I am so pleased this house is on the market for new generations to enjoy. Little cottages like these are loaded with character and history.  I applaud the buyers for being so restrained with their changes.  Check out the listing for 306 Linda Ave. in Newport Beach, CA on Redfin.