Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Macho like Helie Lee

Helie Lee is back, and she makes a pretty cute guy. Four years ago at a book fair I attended, Helie announced she planned to live as a man for 6 months and write a book about her experiences. I guffawed this idea since the author is not only petite and feminine, but pretty. Helie then proceeded to go M.I.A. for a few years with the only mention of her online being her books from the past decade, Still Life with Rice and In the Absence of the Sun (which left me completely riveted). Now she's back with a movie documentary called Macho Like Me about her half-year as a man. Ajumma stands corrected because if the pictures don't lie, Helie actually made a convincing guy. I'm most interested to hear her perspective on how she was treated as an Asian male by the public.

Macho Like Me will play at the 26th Annual Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival in April-May and at the San Diego Asian Film Festival in October.