Thursday, December 4, 2014

Why I drive stick

My husband of twelve years frequently tells me how more practical life would be if I traded my manual transmission car for an automatic.  He's right, but I cannot fathom going places in a regular old car.  I grew up driving a stick-shift.  I passed my drivers test in one. All my cars have had manual transmissions. My most recent car, a 6-speed GTI, is mine after leasing it for two years. Deciding on the next step at my lease's end was a big moment--should I get an automatic that my husband can drive, in which I won't fear for my life on hills, that won't fatigue my left leg pressing and releasing the clutch in bumper to bumper traffic?

I'm a dodo head for purchasing my VW since it's not what I'd call reliable.  The "check tires" and "check engine" lights come on all the time.  I doubt it's going to reach to 150K miles.  But on a scale of 1 to 10 for being fun to drive it's a 22.  When I'm on the roads I feel like Han Solo racing through space in the Millennium Falcon.  For me it's not just about getting from points A to B, but also the experience along the way. When I'm old I'll have to give up my manual transmission.  Until then I'm going to enjoy the ride.

Photos A Man's Life and The One Ring